Monday 26 November 2012

Shoe fetish

Apparently there is something about women and shoes that go together like peas and carrots. As I write this, I am barefoot and my shoes are discarded somewhere on the floor with no feet in them - just how I like them to be. But for some people (not just women), shoes are as coveted as diamonds or riches in almost fetish proportions.

A couple of months ago, a friend posted this message on Facebook:
It's a start... 35 shoes (depending on the style - high & low heels, sizes 7-1/2 to 8-1/2) looking for a new owner for free, some even not worn & others less than 5 times, good condition. If you're keen, let me know before next weekend or else they will go to Sally! I'm shoe size 8.
A start?? I don't own anywhere near that number of shoes, let alone have that many 'spare' to give away! We didn't realise at the time that our friend was planning to move overseas, hence 'making a start'. She is a very stylish woman and some of the shoes she was giving away were exquisite - we're not talking about $10 second hand shoes from Trade Me here. I'm not sure how many more donations it took before she had culled enough to move overseas, but she said she would still be taking "quite a few" with her.

Recently, a colleague spotted a shoe rack for sale that holds up to 30 pairs of shoes. I could see her doing a mental count in her head to check whether she would need one rack or two. She thought one might do for now. Besides, "I don't have to keep all my shoes in the same rack. Some of them, like my boots, won't fit so they'll just stay in the wardrobe." However, she was adamant that she was long overdue buying a decent shoe rack to protect her precious vessels from harm. Just look at the tragedy that struck some of Imelda Marcos' shoe collection recently. Oh, the horror!

Where do you sit on the shoe fetish scale?

2 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

I'm not overly obsessed with shoes, but I suppose I have quite a few pair. I love boots. I usually wear my ankle boots with jeans, my tall boots with dresses and skirts, tennis shoes only when I know I'll be walking. I have a pair of hiking boots. I have a few heels but don't wear them anymore as they hurt my feet. I have a few stray pair of boots in my closet that I haven't worn in a few years because of the heel. I think 5 or 6pairs of shoes is a good number to have.

Kiwi Baker Girl said...

I love shoes. I own lots of them. I don't wear them very often, infact I tend to have a favourite pair and wear and wear and wear them for weeks on end until I have another favourite. I own quite a few pairs of heels but only wear them when I am going out and going to be sitting down. For my wedding, I had a wonderful pair of patent red leather heels. I lasted a wonderful 5 hours in them before I had to change to my lower heeled ones. Guests wanted to steel my red heels but luckily I am a size 10 and none of them were.