All you need is a chicken roaster stand. Our one came from Canada and looks like this one, although we bought another one with a slightly different design from a local hardware store for about $8.
Beer can chickenIngredients
- 2 T garlic powder
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T ground coriander
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T salt
- 1 T ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 x ~2 kg chicken
- 1 x 350 ml can of beer
- Mix the ingredients for the spice rub until they are well blended. Use a basting brush to rub spice rub all over the chicken, inside and out.
- Open the beer and remove (drink!) about 100 ml. Place can in roaster. Sit the chicken on the roaster so the legs are at the bottom and the wings are at the top. [Optional: marinade in the fridge for 1-2 hours and reapply baste 1-2 times.]
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to a medium/high heat. Put a drip pan below the grates. Stand the chicken on the grill and cook over indirect heat for about 2 hours or until the juices run clear.
|Beer can chicken|
with baked potatoes for company