Tuesday 18 August 2015

Pimp my dough

Totara Cottage know a thing or two about baking. They've been baking up a storm since 1996 and were the hosts of today's cookie making demonstration at Moore Wilson's, Pimp my dough - One mix, many variations. I've had mixed levels of success with baking biscuits and cookies but always console myself with the fact that even my cookie 'pancake' leftovers (read: failed to rise or hold their shape) still taste good. Now, I have a few more tools in my baking arsenal and am assured of future cookie baking success!

We were greeted with a recipe sheet and a sample of three biscuits: morning glory breakfast (with grated apple, carrot, sultanas and coconut), adult indulgence (triple chocolate with white chocolate raspberry filling) and chocolate chip. I munched on the morning glory breakfast as the demonstration was beginning. Its soft, cakey-type texture slightly resembled a muffin.

Cookies!
With one basic recipe mixed by hand, we saw how to vary things by adding a few extra ingredients. The great thing about this dough is that it can be frozen and cooked later, or you can just cook a whole batch of biscuits and freeze leftovers to reheat or recook - if there are any left. The scroggin biscuits with sunflower seeds, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, rolled oats and chocolate budlets caught my attention. They almost sound healthy. Almost.

We got to choose a lovely take home pack of ingredients to try baking at home. I went for the scroggin mix while my colleague chose chocolate and cranberry. We're going to make our batches at home this weekend and swap some with each other. I'm also thinking about making some of these recipes next time I am rostered on for Good Bitches Baking. They'd certainly make delicious  treats.

Scroggin biscuit mixture to make at home
Check out the Totara Cottage product range.

Totara Cottage product range
It looks like next week's demonstration still has some places available. I'd recommend it as a fun lunch time activity.

No comments: