Thursday 27 August 2015

WOAP lunch: Bistro 169

Bistro 169 is the restaurant in the Abel Tasman Hotel. Their $25 two course Wellington on a Plate lunch menu looked absolutely mouth watering and so Bistro 169 became the destination for an impromptu work lunch today. How I love this time of year. :-)

First up, entrees. I chose the Randwick Meats Wairarapa free range pork belly with saffron cauliflower purée, apple and fennel salsa, and bourbon sauce. The pork belly was divine but unfortunately there were unadvertised diced evil capsicums hiding in the salsa so I pushed that aside and enjoyed it with the bourbon sauce instead.

Pork belly with saffron cauliflower purée
The main course of Preston's beef cheek with roasted garlic mash potato, mushroom ragoût and salsa verde was simply huge. The beef was incredibly tender and the mushroom ragoût was delicious. There was a lot of verde and a lot of mash which has left me in a very full tummy contented-type mood for the afternoon. A glass of Mela apple juice finished off my meal.

Beef cheek with roasted garlic mash
Lunch today has wrapped up my Wellington on a Plate campaign for 2015. It confirms what I already know: Wellington is a great place for foodies to be in August or any time of the year.

No comments: