My staycation has been great, even if the weather didn't come to the party. The main thing is that it gave me time and permission to relax - something I'm not usually good at. It has left me with some points to remember next time.
Note to self about holidays:
- Sleep for as long (and late) as you need to each day. You have a lot of sleep to catch up on from during the year.
- Bathe yourself in as much music as you can. Turn up the sound. You don't need to listen through earbuds during the holidays.
- Read, read, read - or repeat the step above if you don't feel like reading any more. The same applies to watching DVDs. Make the most of your Fatso subscription.
- Make sure you have a good supply of fresh coffee beans and vanilla Shott.
- Go for long walks whenever it is sunny. Replenish your body's level of vitamin D.
- Socialise or don't socialise. If opportunities come up, take them but don't feel pressured to run around and organise things for everybody. You do enough of that during the year.
- Entertain once or twice. The house is never as clean as when guests are on their way around!
- Never work on Christmas Eve, even though you have done it in the past. Instead, allow yourself a precious day or two to relax and quietly prepare for Christmas Day. Even better, find a little person to bake gingerbread with while singing and dancing to cheesy Christmas carols. It feels fantastic!
- Never start back at work after a break (or start a new job) on a Monday. After just a day or two, you will be hanging out for Friday ... and that's a pretty stink feeling if it's still a few days away.