Wednesday 10 February 2010

Donate to a food bank

We rearranged the kitchen cupboards the other night. Make no mistake: this is a big job. Some of the items in this kitchen arrived on the scene well before I did and, considering that my sweetie's mantra is "It would be a shame to waste it", not so easy to remove. There were a few casualties along the way: expired food items (ie with 'best before' dates 1-4 years old) were swiftly disposed of; others went after a bit of a struggle. There were a few pleasant surprises (eg, sauce sachets we'd forgotten we'd bought) and a few items which have survived repeated culls, namely some soup which we'd stocked up on before discovering that neither of us liked the flavour, even though it's still fine to eat. This time, though, I was determined that this soup wouldn't find its way back to the black hole inside the cupboard; it was going to be put to good use.

One of my 101 in 1001 activities is #72 - Donate to a food bank. I sometimes donate when food banks hold their annual appeals at supermarkets but, admittedly, it's only because their collection points at the supermarket entrance serve as a reminder for me. Food banks need donations all year round, not just at Christmas or on special occasions. I decided that today would be the day that I removed our unwanted cans to the food bank donation box at the supermarket and top it up by adding a few other non-perishable items to my grocery list. Although money has not been particularly forthcoming for me lately, it was easy to do and not particularly exorbitant on my part. I'm guessing that every little bit helps.

So that was my day of mini-philanthropy. It sure feels good!

No comments: