Monday 27 December 2010

Post-Christmas post

Another Christmas is done and dusted and the madness that was Christmas shopping has now turned into Boxing Day and summer sales. We overindulged on food and festivity as we juggled Christmas between both of our immediate families and my extended whanau. Wellington turned on a pearler of a day with warm, calm and sunny weather.

We started off with breakfast at my parents' place and opening presents with my almost-3-year-old nephew. Isn't Christmas so much more fun when there are little ones around? He was beside himself with the excitement of opening presents but, just like the cliché goes, was literally more interested in the packaging for one present than what was inside it. A trip to the beach after breakfast to play with his new bucket and spade ended at high tide. Thankfully there was a park across the road with a red swing (like he requested) and slides to play on in the sun before going home again and watching him chase bubbles around the back yard. A sunny Christmas Day was the perfect opportunity for this 101 in 1001 activity, #34 - Blow bubbles on a sunny day.

The rest of the day saw us work slowly but surely through mountains of food and presents, some of which we are still trying to polish off now. It's amazing how we can still be eating chocolate pie, pavlova, tiramisu and chocolate truffles two days after Christmas. Lots of bubbly and a backyard pétanque tournament finished the day off nicely and Boxing Day was spent eating even more ... long lazy days!

How was your day? And how are you recovering now? I hope your Christmas was as wonderful and fortunate as ours.

3 comments:

Kez said...

My Christmas was surprisingly joyous and easy :)
I had a great time - even with the stressy inlaws! My hubby and I went between my inlaws' and my parents' places so we had 2 massive Christmas feasts to contend with!!!
Then for Boxing day another extended inlaws' feast again!!!
Today was spent napping and being deliciously lazy :) I feel so much better now!

Kelly said...

Merry Christmas Cafe Chick!

Mine was both better and worse than I expected...ah family dynamics, aren't they grand?

Roll on New Year!

Caffeinated Weka said...

How did it go, Kelly? Did you present a harmonica and cans of Fanta to any of the nieces or nephews?