Thursday 3 September 2009

One sentence

Being somewhat loquacious by nature, I have come to enjoy writing. With the bulk of my writing at work mostly consisting of 'academic speak', I enjoy the contrasting informality and conversational style that a blog such as this allows. I guess that leads to my posts often being rather verbose; oh well!


When I first compiled my 101 in 1001 list, I had recently discovered the One Sentence micro-blogging site. I hastily added a goal to my list to submit a sentence to onesentence.org. From time to time, I review my 101 list and on several occasions this goal has come close to being cut; telling a true story in just one sentence is almost an impossible task. Tweeting is no measure for this challenge! I revisited the site once again this morning and, after reading through the latest contributions and listening to the interview with Radio New Zealand from earlier in the year, I decided to give it a go. Today.

Bearing in mind that the site receives 700-1000 sentences per day, and that 5-10% are accepted, I'm not expecting it to be published. However, if it does make the grade, you'll hear it here first, lol. It certainly has been a challenge, and I returned to my draft sentences all during the morning. As site creator, Michael Ryan, is adamant, he doesn't want One Sentence to "turn into a lazy man's PostSecret". This is harder than it sounds, and many of my sentences started out this way before promptly hitting the cutting room floor. However, I finally settled on a sentence and hit 'submit'. *Gulp*

And my sentence? I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but here goes:
When asked how he could be certain the speaker had blown, Dad dramatically explained (with grandiose arm gestures) that, "I plugged it in and all I heard was nothing".

2 comments:

Sab said...

I like that! Very neat! I think your sentence is awesome! :)

~JarieLyn~ said...

I like your sentence too. I don't think you should be embarrassed at all.

For awhile, I was addicted to the six word memoir. On a daily basis, I would be thinking in six word sentences. A few of my memoirs were published and I received the honor of memoirist of the day for one of my six word memoirs. I was thrilled, even though I wasn't thrilled with the one they chose.