Tuesday 1 July 2008

101 in 1001

I've decided to do it. Here is my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. Full details of can be found at Day Zero. My finish date is calculated at 29 March 2011. I'll blog my progress along the way.
The mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Here is my list, in no particular order except the order I thought of them in. Some of my goals are short term and easily achieved (58. Buy a Lotto ticket); others will take longer (17. Get new Buzz band going). Some are free and easy to enjoy (33. Jump in a puddle); others will cost a fair bit (3. Buy my own home!). A few are already part of my regular routine that I would like to continue (1. Read at least one book per month); others are new things I want to try (50. Ride in a hot air balloon).
  1. Read at least one book per month (0/34)
  2. Complete two cross-stitch embroideries (0/2)
  3. Buy my own home
  4. Visit Tricia in Auckland
  5. Complete Wellington Round the Bays (7km walk)
  6. Complete Wellington Marathon 10km walk
  7. Blog at least three times per week
  8. Send flowers to someone
  9. Swim with dolphins
  10. Bake a carrot cake
  11. Visit Somes Island
  12. Play the piano at least once a month (0/34)
  13. Walk/cycle to the Pencarrow lighthouse and have a picnic
  14. Submit a sentence to onesentence.org
  15. Update my email addresses on Hotmail, Mail and work accounts
  16. Learn to make tiramisu
  17. Get new Buzz band going
  18. Create website for Buzz band
  19. Lose 12 kg
  20. Throw a party for friends
  21. Take a boat trip
  22. Feed duckies
  23. Fly a kite
  24. Buy a Michael McCormack painting/print of Island Bay
  25. Go berry picking
  26. Go tenpin bowling
  27. Play mini golf
  28. Play a board game with friends
  29. Dance at a formal ball
  30. Relax in hot mineral pools
  31. Read a classic novel
  32. Add at least two more countries’ stamps to my passport (0/2)
  33. Jump in a puddle
  34. Blow bubbles on a sunny day
  35. Watch the sun rise
  36. Watch the sun set with someone special
  37. Swing on park swings
  38. Go to the zoo
  39. Host a brunch for friends
  40. Visit Karori Wildlife Sanctuary
  41. Fix/sew up my clothes that need minor mending
  42. Have a massage
  43. Have a bubble bath
  44. Sort out/purge my teaching resources
  45. Sort out/organise my MEd resources
  46. Organise recipes
  47. Digitally organise my song lyrics
  48. Find something to be happy and thankful for each day
  49. Go to the Scarecrow Festival in Gladstone
  50. Ride in a hot air balloon
  51. Go to the Martinborough Fair
  52. Watch It’s A Wonderful Life at Christmas time
  53. Walk in the water with sand between my toes
  54. Walk/dance in the rain
  55. Have yum char with friends
  56. Paint my fingernails
  57. Lie on the grass and watch the clouds go by
  58. Buy a Lotto ticket
  59. Have my hand hennaed
  60. Have a bath by candlelight
  61. Taste French champagne
  62. Take ballroom dancing lessons
  63. Donate to charity
  64. Bake and decorate cupcakes
  65. Buy a dress
  66. Spend an hour people watching
  67. Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  68. Send a postcard in the mail
  69. Take meaningful photos of my local area
  70. Host a girls’ craft session
  71. Do a jigsaw puzzle
  72. Donate to a food bank
  73. Take a train ride
  74. Lie in a hammock
  75. Cook a 3-course meal for someone
  76. Knit something
  77. Visit an aviary
  78. Take a photo of a butterfly
  79. Bake something to give away
  80. Decorate a room with fairy lights
  81. Go to an art exhibition
  82. Make home-made sushi
  83. Have a computer-free weekend (all of Sat/Sun)
  84. Take a photo of apple/cherry blossom in spring
  85. Go to a concert
  86. Sit on the edge of a wharf/jetty
  87. Try 10 new recipes (0/10)
  88. Give old clothes to charity
  89. Eat waffles for breakfast/brunch
  90. Send a postcard via postcrossing.com
  91. Release a book into the wild via bookcrossing.com
  92. Learn how to play the ukulele
  93. Buy daffodils/freesias just because it’s spring
  94. Ride a bike
  95. Make chocolate/Easter eggs
  96. Use reusable shopping bags at the supermarket
  97. Keep CV up to date
  98. Buy a print of Vettriano’s The Singing Butler
  99. Buy a print of Van Gogh’s Café Terrace at Night
  100. Put aside $10 for each goal achieved
  101. **Top secret!**
Goals in italics are in progress.
Goals in bold and colour have been achieved.

We'll see where I end up in 2011!

9 comments:

May Hoe said...

Good on you girl! I am starting a list...*runs off*

Erika said...

I love your list! It looks like you have alot of challanges ahead of you! Thanks for the idea!! :o]

Gail T. said...

thanks for dropping by my own list, and giving encouragement. it is great to see other 101/1001'ers supporting each other.

i like the combination of short, long, free and expensive types of goals. as you had said before, this is like The Bucket List except that life goes on after 1001 days. :D good luck on working through your list. i know that doing my tasks has benefited me more than what is written down.

i like the postcrossing task. hope you'd find it as enjoyable as i do. also, that one sentence website is very cool. and hot air ballooning sounds so scarily exciting. have a great time!

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulously fabulous idea! you have me wanting to make my own list! thanks cafe chick :-)

=SaNdRa= said...

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and encouraging me! Good luck completing you list also! Hopefully in March 2011 we will have finished all 101 things!

Anonymous said...

All of the list sounds really good:) I like the hot air balloon one!

Ecodea said...

Hey! Your list looks great too!! And you live in NZ, wow! It's a place I've always wanted to visit - should have put it on my list, in fact! :)
Have fun with your list!!
Andrea

Kellee said...

Read your list the other day while I was putting my own together. Great to see you've completed so many & have a number of others underway already. Good luck with the rest :)

Mrs M said...

Your list is great - a fascinating mix of this to develop yourself and some out and out FUN! The best of luck with your challenges - I'' be sure to pop by an check on your progress:)

Mrs M
x