Thursday 17 September 2009

Reading habits meme


Stolen from The Well Written Kitty. This book meme originally came from Book Bloggers Appreciation week. I couldn't resist.

1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack? Not usually. I prefer to read mostly while lying down in bed. It doesn't mix with eating too well.

2. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I'm horrified just thinking about leaving a book in anything less than pristine condition!

3. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open? I use a bookmark. Sometimes it's a real bookmark; other times it's a random piece of paper, concert ticket, or even an airline boarding pass.

4. Fiction, Non-fiction, or both? Mostly fiction, but I also love biographies and memoirs.

5. Hard copy or audiobooks? Hard copy

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point? I need to read either to the end of a chapter or to a point where there is a natural break. Some books are easier to do this with than others.

7. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away? I try to remember it for later, but usually forget, lol.

8. What are you currently reading? Have just started The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer. Last night, I finished Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

9. What is the last book you bought? I'm a cheap bookie; I borrow or frequent libraries. The last book I bought was probably a gift for someone else!

10. Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time? I usually have 2-3 books on the go at once, but I have one 'main' book that occupies most of my attention.

11. Do you have a favourite time of day and/or place to read? I'm most comfortable reading in bed. However, I'm rarely in bed early enough to read much at night.

12. Do you prefer series books or stand alone books? Usually stand alone. It frustrates me to read a book from a series then not be able to find the very next one, but see heaps of copies of later books that I can't read out of sequence!

13. Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over? I'm really cautious about recommending books, as they're so personal to an individual's taste. I'm more likely to suggest books that I think a particular person might like, or that I have read recently, rather than make a general recommendation.

14. How do you organise your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc?) Pretty much randomly in piles; some even make it to the shelf in my wardrobe. However, being more of a book borrower, I don't have too many around at any one time.

3 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

This was interesting.

I usually buy my books. I have tons of books in my home and I always mark in them. I have highlights throughout and/or flags. I read a lot of non-fiction mostly, that's why I mark my books up.

I cannot go into a book store without spending over $100.00. It's a real problem with me, so I try to stay out.

I love owning the books and displaying them on shelves. I usually organize them by subject.

Donna said...

I think i'm going to snag this!!! I haven't forgotten about you, I have yet to find my recipe for the banana bread. It's been a little crazier than usual here so I'll get it to you tomorrow more than likely!

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Tēnā koe e Café Chick!

If food gets onto paper, it rots it, feeding mould and mildew and encouraging silverfish. I don't snack when I read, for the same reason I don't mark books, nor fold page corners or do any other origami. :)

Couldn't care less about where I leave off. When I pick up a book I'm reading, I take 20 seconds to find where I left off - unless it's Britannica. I just flick through, taking care to start from the beginning. :)

What's fiction today is non-fiction tomorrow. I don't mind what I read - hard copy and the Net about 50/50.

As I get older, fewer words are unfamiliar. I often get the meaning from the context.

I'm re-reading The Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson. I do this sort of thing a lot. It's like going back to see a great movie.

I buy more books for other people than I do for me. Bansky was the last book I bought, for my daughter - a book about the works of the post-modern Graffiti artist, Bansky.

I never have less than 2 books on the go when I'm reading. I read on the bus in the morning. No particular author preference, but not Tolkien. For me, a series of books sucks. Sometimes I don't have a book I'm reading but I read the Net all the time.

When I've finished a book I return it to it's owner unless it's mine. Which case, I walk the house looking for shelf space or lend it to someone and usually say goodbye to it. :)

Catchya later