Pimm's, but there is something about a cool Pimm's cocktail in a tall glass that conjures up images of summer garden parties. In fact, almost any drink in a tall glass goes well in summer, much like roast dinners being synonymous with cold, wintery weekends.
Here are some of the tastes I'm enjoying (and looking forward to) this summer.
- Strawberries. It goes without saying that I will be gorging myself on these at every opportunity. Raspberries are also good, as is summer fruit in general.
- Cherries. Delicious, dark red cherries with flesh that falls off the pit.
- Cider, especially if it's Isaac's pear cider or Old Mout feijoa. So crisp and refreshing.
- Scallops. I'd forgotten how good these are. More fleshy than oysters and far more tender and tasty than paua, I think scallops are becoming my seafood of choice.
- Watermelon. Long hot days were made for cool, juicy watermelon. Vodka optional.
- Gelato. Although this is a year-round treat in reality, Bon Bon Rocher gelato from Kaffee Eis is always a winner.