There are lots of banoffee pie recipes out there and this one works well. All I really needed to find out was the quantity of melted butter, as the rest is pretty simple. Luckily, someone had posted it on a Foodlovers forum. It's less a recipe rather than an order of assembly for the ingredients. The main thing to remember is that it needs to be refrigerated twice, so allow plenty of time in between stages. Also, I used the amazing caramel condensed milk instead of making it from plain condensed milk. I figure it's better value paying 50c extra than risking a can exploding from boiling it for 3 hours. Just be careful you don't cut your tongue on the lid. (You'll know what that means once you buy a can of caramel condensed milk to bake with.)
- 150 g butter, melted
- 250 g packet plain (wine) biscuits, crushed
- 395 g can caramel condensed milk
- 2 bananas
- 3/4 cup whipped cream
- 2-3 teaspoons grated chocolate or ground nutmeg to garnish
- Combine crushed biscuits and melted butter. Firmly press mixture into the base and sides of a 20 cm loose based flan tin. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (I usually refrigerate for longer to keep the base firmer.)
- Spread condensed milk over crumb base and refrigerate for 1 hour until caramel is firm.
- To serve, slice bananas and arrange half of the over the set caramel. Top with whipped cream and decorate with the remaining bananas. Sprinkle chocolate or nutmeg to garnish.