Sunday 2 March 2014

Shapeshifter sculptures


Shapeshifter is a biennial exhibition of art and sculpture that is part of the 2014 New Zealand Festival. Curated outdoors at the Lower Hutt Civic Gardens, there are sculptures of all shapes, sizes and media. You can see the large scale sculptures close up or stand back to appreciate their full effect. It's a great opportunity to get up close to art work and even touch some of the pieces. *gasp!* Shapeshifter is open every day until 16 March 2014.

Here are some pieces that caught my attention. The full size pictures look far more impressive than the thumbnails so I have kept the file sizes large. Each piece is for sale, but I imagine you'd need a large (or 'character') back yard for them live in permanently. The captions are my own; I didn't buy a catalogue so I don't know the official titles. Instead, I've described my impression of them.

Colourful hanging flowers
One Of These.
They say everybody needs one.
Optical illusion
Builder's shorts carved from wood - stunning!
I'd love this balloon stuck in a tree.
Not too sure about the stick it's attached to, though.
A super-impressive picnic table setting, completely carved out of wood.
The daisies on the grass are made out of police danger tape.
Eels
I like the way the sun (and wind) brought this sculpture to life.
Polar bear wearing a hoodie.
A statement on global warming.

No comments: