With pineapple lumps in the pantry and baking to do today, I thought about how I could combine these two things and modified a recipe for pineapple and coconut cupcakes. The result was 24 delicious pineapple cupcakes topped with chocolate frosting and, of course, crowned with a heavenly pineapple lump.
Pineapple lump cupcakesIngredients
- 240 g plain flour
- 280 g sugar
- 3 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 80 g butter, softened
- 240 ml milk
- 1 t vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 300 g crushed pineapple, drained (1 x 440 g tin)
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line two 12-hole muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter on slow speed until reaching a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Mix the milk and vanilla together in a measuring cup. Pour into the flour mixture on medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well, scraping down the side of the bowl with a spatula in between additions.
- Fold in the crushed pineapple with a spatula. The mixture will be wet and sloppy.
- Fill the cupcake cases until two-thirds full. Using an ice cream scoops helps spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when touched and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tray for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g icing sugar, sifted
- 30 ml tepid water
- 20 g cocoa, sifted to remove lumps
- Beat the butter and sugar on high speed using the paddle attachment until smooth and creamy.
- Add water and mix to combine.
- Add cocoa and mix until smooth.
|Pineapple lump cupcakes|
Piña colada cupcakesYou can vary this recipe to make piña colada cupcakes.
- Replace milk with coconut milk.
- Replace vanilla essence with rum.
- Frost with vanilla buttercream and sprinkle with desiccated coconut to decorate.