I am a proud kiwi, but there are some things that kiwi culture and I just don't agree on. It's not necessarily cultural cringe. I like pavlova (and I can make a pretty darn good one myself). I like kiwifruit, Vegemite (not Marmite) and Anzac biscuits. But there are some things that would make people gasp at my lack of kiwiness.
Thinking about it this afternoon and evening, I came up with some things to add to my #nzconfession list. I'm going to be brave and admit them here. I'm hoping to discover that I'm not alone in some of them.
- I don't like L&P.
- I don't like BBQs.
- I don't like cricket and I have gone off rugby and rugby league in recent years. I'm not a netball fan, either.
- I think most kiwiana is crass and embarrassing, especially the 'traditional' plastic fantastic hei-tiki.
- I have zero interest in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
- I sometimes find the New Zillund accent embarrassing, especially when listening to eye-witness accounts on the news.
- I don't find Rhys Darby even remotely amusing. He is irritating to the point that I will deliberately boycott anything he tries to promote. Ditto many other self-proclaimed 'famous' 'comedians'.