Wednesday 1 January 2014

Life lessons for 2014


Isn't this an exciting time? Resolutions and promises to do more (or less) of everything are flying around the internet left and right today. Somehow, everything feels so much more promising and full of hope on 1 January, even though it's actually no different to any other day of the year. Shhh, I won't tell anyone if you don't!

A couple of New Years Days ago I created my very own recipe for living. I'm more than a little smug to announce that, two years on, I have perfected this recipe and it works really well - so long as you faithfully stick to all of the components. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's fail-safe. Ooh, yeah!

I have found that end of year/new year is a good time to do some reflecting, though. What really matters? What do I want to achieve? What do I know now that I wish I'd known years ago? Eleanor Roosevelt summed it up beautifully:
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
I've thought about a few life lessons that I've experienced and will share them to save you having to learn them for yourself. They're not necessarily mistakes but hopefully I can save you some time and angst by sharing them. You're welcome.
  • Adding kahlua to the milk frother results in a complete non-event. The alcohol stops the milk from frothing at all, so don't bother. I imagine Baileys will achieve the same (non) result. Still, someone had to try it at least once, right?
  • Salmon is truly a food of the gods. If it's not, it should be.
  • Eating too many strawberries won't turn you into one, so I guess it's not true that you are what you eat. Whew!
  • Nothing you say or do will make your pussy cat believe that it's better to drink the clean water from her bowl than the rain water that has formed into a dirty puddle by the garage.
  • Cutting your tongue on the lid of a tin of caramel condensed milk will only hurt for a little while. It won't kill you.
  • When in doubt, smother it in chocolate ganache.
Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: