I do like doner kebabs, but they're incredibly messy to eat, especially once they start falling apart after a few bites and get even messier towards the end when all the sauce drips out, usually on clothing or your face or both.
"This is not first date food," we agree each time, as I get up to eat the last of my kebab over the kitchen sink. The thing is, we can safely eat kebabs in front of each other; it's been years now. But it's not usually the best way to make a good impression on someone.
There are lists, of course. Some good places to start are 16 messy foods that will make you look like a slob no matter what, ten foods too messy for public consumption and foods that no-one can eat gracefully (although some of these are incredibly yummy and lots of fun). Still, nothing quite beats first hand experience with messy food.
Here's my list of non-first date food:
- Ribs of any description, especially when covered in sticky sauce
- Wings (see above)
- Small chicken drumsticks
- Pork crackling
- Corn on the cob dripping with melted butter
- Chocolate eclairs, raspberry buns or cream donuts overfilled with cream
- Seafood that requires shucking to get the good bits out
- Anything requiring the use of chopsticks unless you have this skill mastered.