I decorated this cake as a surprise present for my friend's 40th birthday today. There is a layer of passionfruit buttercream hiding beneath the fondant. Her delighted reaction to the inside and outside of the cake confirmed that I'm onto a winner with this recipe.
White chocolate mud cakeIngredients
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 200 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (330 g) sugar or caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (140 g) self raising flour
- 1 3/4 cups (245 g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 t vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease and line a 20 cm cake pan.
- Melt together butter, white chocolate, sugar and milk in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat. Keep gently stirring to combine but do not let the mixture boil.
- Sift flours together and blend in chocolate mixture with combined eggs and vanilla essence.
- Pour into pan. Bake for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until cooked when tested. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with buttercream frosting or white chocolate ganache. Decorate with white chocolate curls or fondant.