|Morning tea and wine tasting at Clearview Estate Winery|
|Clearview Estate wine selection|
- 2014 Gewurztraminer. Spicy aromatic wine with strong ginger undertones and a dry finish. A definite yes.
- 2014 Te Awanga Chardonnay. A fruity palette and unoaked - hooray!
- 2014 Te Awanga Sauvignon Gris. Something a little bit different. Barrel fermented with strong overtones of pear.
- 2015 Te Awanga Sauvignon Blanc. A soft citrus palette.
|Coffee and scones with jam and cream|
- 2014 Riesling. Really fruity, sweet and full of flavour. It wasn't until after we'd bought (and consumed) a bottle that we realised it was actually low alcohol!
- 2015 Rose. Lots of berry flavours: raspberries, cherries and strawberries. Good for summer drinking.
|Elephant Hill wines|
Much further along and 500 metres off the road is Rod McDonald Wines. It's a bit more of a trek to get to this winery but the scene once you reach the top of the gravel driveway is serene.
|Rod McDonald vineyard with views to the coast|
Wine tasting costs $5 and is refunded if you buy a bottle.They do things are little differently at Rod McDonald as they enjoy the luxury of several specialist labels. One Off means they can make single batches of wines depending on what they have planted, allowing room for experimentation and variety. Their other labels represent various vineyard locations.
No wines caught our fancy but we enjoyed the warm hospitality of our hosts before heading back out into the sun for the return ride.