Monday 31 December 2018

2018 highlights reel

2018 has been an epic year for me. A lot has happened and, while there were some rough patches, it's the first year in many that I can say has been a good one. As we prepare to move into a new year, I've been thinking about what was great in 2018, what I still need to work on and what 2019 might look like. But first, here are some of the many highlights I experienced in 2018.

2018 highlights reel

  • I made huge changes to the way I manage my career this year and so far they have paid off. I'm now a self-employed contractor working four days a week and it's made all the difference to my personal and professional life ... but more about this later. 
  • I learned how to better manage my energy, using it when and how I needed to and according to my own priorities instead of other people's. I said no to someone's significant request for the first time in many, many years. I still feel bad about it but am learning that it was the right decision for us both - and one that I was entitled to make.
  • My extended whānau travelled to the Cook Islands for our cousin's wedding in Rarotonga. We had an amazing time exploring this beautiful island while welcoming a new member to our whānau.
  • I can (usually) fall asleep and stay asleep through the night now without staying awake for several hours pondering the state of the world and my place in it. Usually.
  • Although reading for pleasure fell through the floor, my professional reading went through the roof. I'm going to count that as a highlight.
There's always next year.
  • I listened to endless podcasts this year. Podcasts are a great way of accessing information on the go and also balance out the times when I want to learn something but don't have the energy or brain power to read it.
  • The next generation of Weka whānau musicians has awoken, starting with a very excitable 10 year old who is now the proud owner of his first bass guitar (to go along with learning piano and guitar) and a super-excited auntie who can't wait to introduce him to our world of music.
  • I planted the world's tiniest vege patch (1m²) in spring and now enjoy salads for lunch made with freshly grown lettuce. My carrots and beans look ready to harvest, although I'm still searching for the cucumbers.
What have been your highlights in 2018?

No comments: