Thursday 16 April 2009

Baking day

"I hereby declare one day (or night) per week: baking day."

I have decided to spend some time each week experimenting with baking, either trying a new recipe, a form of frosting, or just practising decorating. Last week, I baked a small batch of vanilla cupcakes and made some simple frosting with icing sugar, an egg white and lemon juice. I was surprised at how runny the frosting turned out, and how big the recipe was (even when halved), so when my Easter cupcakes ended up being peaked instead of flat, the icing ran everywhere. I'll have to figure out a way to thicken it up next time.

Today, I made a batch of banana cupcakes using up some old bananas. I decided to skip the frosting and instead jump straight to decorating by piping with milk chocolate melts. I was really pleased that my two piping bags made out of simple baking paper worked - my origami skills are improving! Here is the result of my experimenting tonight:

3 comments:

Sab said...

Those are so cute! I love the chocolate piping!

LazyKing said...

this looks so yummy

Sarah said...

Pretty! My mom used to bake the most amazing desserts. I'm slowly starting to steal her recipes and I'll have to post some photos one of these days!