Tuesday 7 April 2009

Ukulele chords

I asked for a purple ukulele for Christmas with the intention of having some fun with music. Since then, several members of my extended whānau have caught onto the idea and ukulele sales to them have reached an unpecendented high in anticipation of a big family Christmas together. But we are yet to actually play anything, either individually or as a group. (I think they're all waiting for me to teach them to play or, more likely, teach their kids.) Remembering the four guitar chords I learned to play when I first started teacher training wasn't hard - but what next?

Here are a few chords to help you form a basic repertoire:

It's sad, but true, that a beginner can play a huge array of songs with just these chords or simple variations on them. There are some great tips for beginners on the Ukulele Hunt blog, including links to almost every ukulele-related site that exists. I'm keen to find a group in Wellington who I can hang out and practise with, or to form my own if I can find enough interested people and, even better, someone who can teach us. In the meantime, there are lots of resources online, including some good videos on You Tube. There is a lot of fun to be had playing the ukulele - guaranteed to brings smiles to faces! :-)

So I'm going to practise some more, then book a trip to Central Park and see if I can hang out with this guy and have a ukulele jam:
 
Wow - George Harrison never sounded so good!

3 comments:

Al said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog.

You could try contacting Third Sunday see if they're open to new members.

Anonymous said...

incredible playing!! really a great talent ! it was perfect! i love that song and you did it justice. way to go.

Anonymous said...

In the midst of googling ukulele chords (my roommate has one and I mess around with it when I'm procrastinating), I stumbled upon this lovely place. Awesome blog and I love the 101 in 1001 idea. Might have to start my own.