Sunday 2 August 2009

New Zealand Affordable Art Show


Did I mention that I love winning stuff? Maybe just once or twice? This week, I won tickets to two shows: the Auckland Food Show (which my best friend and her family enjoyed on my behalf) and the New Zealand Affordable Art Show in Wellington.

The Affordable Art Show is an exhibition of original artworks by New Zealand artists. It is a great way to discover new and emerging artists and everything is priced to sell, with artworks ranging in price from $50 to $5000.

The show was well curated and attractively presented. There was plenty of room to wander around and get a good look at all of the pieces on display. Some of the artists were there on site near their displays to provide additional contact details or show portfolios of their work. I'd say both the artists and purchasers would enjoy chatting about the piece just about to change hands.

Although there was a really wide range of artists and artworks (and thankfully nothing too weird or Gothic), I didn't see anything that I felt I just had to buy. That's probably a good thing, and my bank account will thank me for it. As soon as an artwork sells, it is replaced by another, so there's no risk of the art "running out" or all the good stuff going on the first day. We noticed changeovers happening a few times; it's great to see that people were buying as soon as they saw something they liked.

If you're in Wellington today, it's well worth checking out the final day of this year's show.

1 comment:

~JarieLyn~ said...

Sounds like fun. I'm a million miles away. Haaha