Monday 4 January 2010

New beginnings

It's true when they say that "today is the first day of the rest of your life". That is, every day is the first day of the rest of your life. Yet, there is something so incredibly promising about a new calendar, an empty diary, and the hope of a fresh start that arrives on 1 January every year. I started my 101 in 1001 project on 1 July 2008 (not in the new year), but must admit that I chose a 'tidy' date, ie the start of a new month, to make my new beginning. I wonder why we see those kinds of dates as better times to start projects or make changes in our lives?

2010 is going to be a great one for me. Well, put it this way, I certainly don't want a repeat of 2009; I'm more than eager to write off last year and move on. I'm keen to make some new beginnings and explore new areas and interests in my life. One of these involves setting up my own business this year, and I have pre-enrolled in a course on small business management; this really excites me. I'm also more determined to follow my own path, wherever that may lead, instead of trying to figure out where other people expect me to be and measure my success accordingly. (I say that every year, lol.)

As always, I am not making new year's resolutions; I stopped setting myself up for annual guilt trips many years ago. I'm really keen to continue with my 101 project and have nearly 14 months left (gulp!). All in all, there are lots of exciting possibilities in front of me and I don't want my ongoing personal battle with low self-confidence to threaten them. The only way is up!

Happy new year to you all! Buon anno a tutti! May 2010 be as fabulous for you as it's going to be for me! :-)

2 comments:

kimode said...

The best word I can think of to describe this post is delightful. And perhaps hopeful. And no doubt a few other -ful words. New year, new beginnings. Nice. :)

All the very best for your 101 challenge.

Kellee said...

There is definitely something positive in the air this time of year. Although I too shy away from new year resolutions.

I must admit I really like the concept that ANY day is the first day of the rest of your life, I thought about waiting for a 'tidy date' for my 101, but once I wrote it, I couldn't possibly wait to start. I think I completed 2 before the next month came around.