Tuesday 29 June 2010

Inside out

I was chatting with a colleague yesterday about trashy Friday night television. You know you're in for a long night when you are DVD-less and your only options are Project Runway or Botswana's Latest Next Top Model (or similar). I can't bear them. We somehow got on to talking about programmes like CSI. I said that hospitals and gory crime scenes are one of my irrational fears and I can't bear to watch them either. I regularly get hassled about it, but I just don't like body bits where they shouldn't be (removed, broken, at the wrong angle), and especially bits that are supposed to be on the inside but are actually on the outside. I don't understand people's fascination with wanting to see that kind of stuff.

I have finally found a kindred spirit: my colleague feels the same! It's not a matter of fearing blood. However, she raised the stakes by saying that she also doesn't like things going inside that should stay on the outside, eg injections, artificial medical aids, scalpels etc. She said she was traumatised for a long time when she was a teenager and had to give her horse a daily injection for a few weeks. She only managed to do it because she wanted her horse to get better, but even the thought of injecting something now makes her queasy. It made perfect sense to me.

Inside out and outside in - some times are just not meant to be. Who's with us on this one?

5 comments:

betty-NZ said...

I agree with you about NZ television! Even with the 'cable' stations (read: SkYTV) some nights are boooorrrrring! I like the CSI programs, but most watch because of the character interactions. I have to admit that I look away when things are really wrong, like the bones are not straight or the brains are strewn along the pavement. ;-)

Alli said...

I am on parts. I can't do open surgery tv shows. You know, when they show the doctors cutting someone open or something? Or a camera inside of them? and DEFINITELY not injections! It's not blood but a needle going INTO the skin is just ... there aren't even words. The only doctor show I really like is Scrubs but there's not too much with actual surgery on that show.

Sab said...

Yup... I'm with you! That might be why I have this crazy fear of needles...

Anonymous said...

Sorry not with you on this one, as a student nurse, and an ambulance officer, I see plenty of unusual body things,,, and I am not fazed at all :)

Anonymous said...

I refuse to watch anything gory or scary! My guilty pleasure is reality TV but we cancelled our cable for a while so I am sticking to DVDs for the time being!