Tuesday 10 April 2012

Pleasant surprises

Last year, my then three-year-old nephew and his mother visited family in Europe. Upon their return, they had brought gifts for us all including some yummy goodies from a particular chocolate factory. On the day that I was to receive my chocolates, my nephew was excitedly looking out the window for signs of my car arriving. Apparently he commented to my father (with chocolates in hand) that, "Wouldn't it be a nice surprise if they opened the chocolates right now?"

Ah, yes. Often there are a multitude of pleasant surprises to be had simply by looking at things from a different angle. Either way, it's amazing how full of pleasant surprises life can be once you clear away the cr@p. This long weekend has been full of pleasant surprises. Here are a few that have made me smile:
  • UK made Cadbury Creme Eggs are not as bad or sickly sweet as the first ones I tried shortly after they replaced the New Zealand made product (although it's still not quite the same). Believe me - I've 'tested' a few this weekend!
  • The upset tummy and sleepless nights that have been plaguing me these past few months miraculously disappeared after a couple of days away from work. In fact, I've been more productive than ever with study this weekend while away from the watchful eye of micromanagement!
  • Impulse buying is not necessarily bad. Eventually, it can even feel good.
  • Apricot buttermilk scones don't have to look good to taste great. Whew!
  • Little boys' tummies all make the same noise when you blow raspberries on them and it sounds like incessant giggling.
  • A triple espresso made with Dr Mojo's Medicine goes extremely well with chocolate or just on its own.
  • Life is so much more enjoyable when not measured in 15 minute time slots.
  • Hot cross buns are not as hard to make as I feared. 
  • If you ever need a new way to laugh at yourself and those around you, give Scottish country dancing a try.
What pleasant surprises have you discovered recently?

    No comments: