I searched the Chelsea Sugar website for baking recipes using treacle and found this one for ginger crinkle biscuits. Apparently they are good for dunking. The treacle ratio didn't look too high but I wasn't quite ready to trust it yet so substituted some of the quantity required with golden syrup. It seemed to work and I might raise the golden syrup level even higher if I bake these biscuits again.
Ginger crinkle biscuitsIngredients
- 2/3 cup oil (I used canola)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup treacle (I mixed this with golden syrup)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar to roll biscuits in
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Beat oil, sugar, egg and treacle together. Stir in flour, baking soda and spices, mix well.
- Drop teaspoonfuls into the extra sugar and form balls. Place on baking paper lined baking tray 5cm apart.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, then carefully remove to cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container. These biscuits flatten and crinkle all by themselves. Makes 60-70.
|Ginger crinkle biscuits|