Sunday 1 November 2015

Good Bitches Baking

It should be obvious by now that baking is one of my favourite pastimes. In recent years, baking has become my predominant hobby or interest. There are so many things I love about baking: the flavours, the smells, the creativity and the mystery of putting a whole lot of ingredients into the oven to have them turn out in a completely different form an hour or so later - regardless of whether or not that form was intended. Baking for me can be equal parts stressful (decorating cakes) and stress release (baking muffins, loaves and everyday cakes) but always pleasurable.

Perhaps my favourite thing about baking is the reaction I get from recipients, especially those who weren't expecting a baked treat. This is one of the reasons why I bake almost exclusively for others these days, either for special occasions (birthdays, family dinners) or just to cheer someone up. Sometimes all it takes to make someone's day better is a piece of homemade goodness made with love. Bigger problems require bigger cakes!

Good Bitches Baking was set up a little more than a year ago by two people who wanted to "spread a little sweetness in our community, one bite at a time". What started as a good idea quickly grew into a team organising seven chapters with 430 volunteer bakers and drivers delivering homemade goodness all around New Zealand. I jumped on board as soon as I heard about it in May 2015 and absolutely love being a good bitch baking. I even have the t-shirt to prove it!

Favourite hobby and TV series baked into one!
I love thinking about who might be receiving my baking, what they might like to eat, what new recipes I can try and how I've (hopefully) made someone's day. I'm never certain exactly when my baking will be eaten (on delivery, later that day or even a day or two later) so I think about what will keep well, travel safely and still taste good even if it's not stored in a particular way. The baking doesn't have to be elaborate, either. The baking I do for Good Bitches is more 'homely' and rustic than the decorated cakes and cupcakes I usually make. Here are some of my baking boxes before being packed up and ready to go on Sunday mornings.
Apricot and sultana slice
Banana cake with chocolate fudge frosting
Blueberry and coconut cake
Chocolate cranberry biscuits
Spiced apple walnut cake
Here's how to get on board with Good Bitches Baking. If you're not a baker or a driver but still want to support this cause, there's a Givealittle page where you can donate to the ongoing costs (printing, cake boxes and other operational costs) of the project. I'm rostered on for a couple of weekends this month and absolutely can't wait to get my Christmas bake on next month. Great work, bitches!

No comments: