Thursday 15 April 2010

1000 Awesome Things

Amazing things happen every day and there are multitudes of wonderful things around us for us to appreciate and enjoy. Life's simple pleasures. Many of them are free. But how do you find them in a world full of impending doom and gloom? Where are they hiding? And, once found, how do you partake?

It's easy. Or so says Neil Pasricha, author of the Webby award-winning 1000 Awesome Things blog. Depressed by reading bad news daily and with his marriage failing, Pasricha decided to try to focus on the positive and come up with 1000 simple, free, awesome things, posting one each day on a blog. The blog counts down backwards from 1000 and includes things like finding money you didn't even know you lost, wearing underwear just out of the dryer, sleeping with one leg under the covers and one leg out, and celebrating your pet's birthday even though they have no idea what's going on. These are tiny, inconsequential events in the bigger scheme of life, but aren't they wonderful? I think so!

Parischa has also collated 200 of his awesome things into a recently published book, The Book of Awesome (2010). If visits to his blog is anything to go by (around 12 million so far), this book is sure to be a runaway hit. I'm happy to stick with the digital version for now and have added the 1000 Awesome Things blog to my RSS feed reader. Apart from giving me a daily delivery of positive vibes, it'll also help me with goal #48 from my 101 in 1001 project: find something to be happy and thankful for each day. Done!

2 comments:

Happy Frog and I said...

Thanks for the link to this blog and for leaving a comment on my blog. (I've commented back). I love positive things! :-)

~JarieLyn~ said...

This is wonderful. I am so glad you shared this link. Just last week I sent a friend an email about how I tire of listening to the media report only depressing news. I found a few web sites that have nothing but good news. Now, I can add the one you shared to my list.
Thanks.