Sunday 6 March 2011

Recipe book

Like most cooks and bakers, I have built up quite a collection of recipes over the years. While I am not the type who is attracted to buying massive tomes featuring glossy images of perfect meals that I'll never realistically cook for myself, I have still managed to collect a number of recipe books and screeds of loose leaf recipes from endless sources. I have been looking for free online recipe organisers which allow me to submit my own recipes to a private collection, then sort by meal type, ingredients, time etc ... a bit like the awesome Dinner Spinner but entirely personalised. Doesn't that sound useful? Turns out that such a tool doesn't exist (or perhaps I just haven't found it yet?).

Plan B was to type all of my recipes into a master Word file, hit 'print' and then collate them into a ubiquitous ring binder with dividers for each meal type. Not quite as sexy but incredibly functional. Even though it took far, far longer than I ever imagined it would, my recipes are now finally sorted into a master folder of sorts and my recipe books are neatly arranged on one shelf. How long they stay that ordered is another matter ...

I'm slowly ticking off the remaining 101 in 1001 activities on my list: #46 - Organise recipes.

4 comments:

Kez said...

You totally need to invent that - I'm sure there's a market for a personalised cooking database type thingy!

I am only just getting on the cooking/baking bandwagon and boy is it fun! I hope that I have a massive list of recipes to refer to soon :)

Courtney Elizabeth said...

have you checked out www.tastebook.com? i joined awhile ago and haven't been on in awhile, but it's pretty and also a great place for finding new recipes :)

Caffeinated Weka said...

Thank you so much for the suggestion, Elizabeth. I am now signing up to tastebook (I see you can link your Google or Twitter accounts to it) and will give it a go!

Sab said...

Ooh, I need to do that. I have cards, and two binders. But I know where to find my recipes, so I guess I'm ok right now. Plus, I've started making so many things without recipes. Weird.

I would LOVE a system like the one you described... for my own recipes. WOuld be perfect!