- 115 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 140 g flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 200 g sweetened condensed milk
- 55 g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp water
- 45 g caster sugar
- 45 g butter
- 190 g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Grease a shallow 12 x 8 in/30 x 21 cm tin and line the base and two sides with a piece of baking paper.
- Soften the butter and bring the egg to room temperature.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar until well combined – you can do thin is a food processor or mixer. Add the egg, then the dry ingredients and spread the mixture evenly in the prepared tin. [I had to ditch the baking paper and press the mixture in with my fingers as it was very sticky, wouldn't spread and kept lifting the paper.] Bake for about 20 minutes until firm and cooked.
- While the base is in the oven, combine the filling ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently together, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the hot filling onto the cooked base. Spread it out evenly and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Set aside on a rack until cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Gently heat the water, caster sugar and butter in a small pot until the butter melts. Simmer for one minute to form a syrup.
- Beating all the time, pour about ¾ of the syrup onto the icing sugar and cocoa. Add the remaining syrup if necessary to make a smooth, fudgy icing. Add a little hot water if it's still too thick. Spread over the cooled base and leave to set for about 20 minutes before cutting the skite cake into about 32 fingers.