We started out pretending that we could work independently of the network for a bit, but that doesn't leave much when every single file is stored centrally. Emails are also down, along with our intranet, printers etc. Time to surrender to the machine and find other ways to amuse ourselves.
Things to do when the network is down:
- Cheese Scone Friday. Make it a good one.
- Arrange absent colleague's teddy bears into dodgy positions and/or hide them in questionable places around the office. Endless fun.
- Move stuff around randomly - walls, wires, furniture, desks. Yes, we're easily amused.
- Socialise - I mean, 'catch up with colleagues about important issues' over in the other block.
- Buy lots of random and unnecessary crap off the daily deals sites. All of them.
- Read the news. Again.
- Clear your Google Reader RSS feeds until Outlook starts working again.
- Read a book - you know, of the paper variety.
- Cross our fingers and pray for a big dumping of snow soon in time for a ski trip in a few weeks.
- Organise coffee dates for the weekend. Lots of them.
- Hold a meeting.
Any other suggestions?