Friday 16 August 2013

We all scream for ice cream

Wellington is currently experiencing a phenomenon known as sprinter, that time between seasons when the weather doesn't quite know if it's spring or winter or perhaps something else completely. But no matter what time of the year, Wellingtonions love their ice cream, gelato and sorbet. Ruth Pretty knows this and has bravely set up a pop-up ice cream stand for Wellington on a Plate. Winter? Not around here.

$5 gets you a double scoop of ice cream or sorbet goodness. Today's flavours were Vanilla Bean, Whittakers 70% Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, Kahlua Cappuccino, Roasted Pineapple and Kaffir Lime, Chunky Ginger, Passionfruit Sorbet ... what a list! We circulated it around the office and ended the week with an ice cream lunch.

My kind of menu
I chose a scoop each of dark chocolate and raspberry on a waffle cone. The raspberry flavour was creamy and subtle but the really good stuff started when I got to the Whittaker's dark chocolate layer - a lovely, rich flavour that lingered well after I'd finished.

Spoiled for choice
It's great to see Ruth and her team in town. I'm too shy to take a selfie of my ice cream experience, even with prizes up for grabs, so Ruth agreed to pose for me instead.

Chocolate and raspberry ice cream in a waffle cone
The pop-up ice cream stand is in Midland Park on selected days during Wellington on a Plate and I hope they come back for summer. Check the event page for each day's flavours.

No comments: