Monday 12 August 2013

WOAP lunch: Thunderbird Cafe


We had a yummy Wellington on a Plate lunch at Thunderbird Cafe today. Thunderbird is a quirky café in Featherston Street that is known for great coffee, cheese scones and its funky decor. Their WOAP set menu is good value at $25 and includes two courses and a beverage.

I'm glad I had booked a table earlier in the day as the café was full to bursting when we arrived, which is always a good sign. I chose an entree and main combination along with a nicely chilled glass of Cottier sauvignon blanc 2011. I felt very grown up drinking wine at lunchtime!

My first course was Tuatara beer-battered squid with lemon and housemade remoulade. I'm not sure which type of beer went into the mountain of batter but I was able to rescue some slices of squid from the outer layer and dip it in the homemade remoulade. Very nice.

Beer battered squid and a glass of sav
I chose the free range Wairarapa pulled-pork sandwich with shredded cabbage, potato salad and housemade citrus herb BBQ sauce for my main course. The pork was really good and the sandwich was filling. I've come to really like Maori purple potatoes (taewa) on the few occasions I've tried them and they were great in the potato salad.

Pulled pork sandwich with shredded cabbage and purple potato salad
I rolled back to the office after lunch feeling contented and very full. It's a shame siestas are not commonplace in New Zealand as this afternoon would have been the perfect occasion for one.

No comments: