Thursday 3 January 2008

Christchurch

I shudder at the thought of this blog becoming yet another travel blog, but I’m on holiday now so I guess that’s the order of the day for a while. :-)

First stop, Christchurch. It was hot today, 26 degrees Celsius. As I arrived mid-afternoon and my holiday time here is short, I followed the advice of friends and visited the Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House in Cathedral Square. It’s in the Information Centre, so really easy to find, and entry is $15. As far as aquariums go, it’s pretty small, but the displays are well set out and there is plenty to see, including two North Island brown kiwi in the nocturnal kiwi house. We also got to see these guys below being fed. Pretty impressive stuff.
I came across The Bog, an Irish pub in Cashel St. I'm not generally a huge fan of Irish pubs, but I was hungry and this one had a really appealing menu. The Cashel St chicken salad was to die for and included generous servings of two of my favourite foods: camembert and cashew nuts. Divine!

A little tourist tip for those with sore feet ... there is a free shuttle bus which does a loop of Christchurch's CBD every 10 minutes. What a great discovery when you have to walk everywhere! Tomorrow, it's off to Dunedin.

No comments: