Sunday 18 January 2009

The Sinner's Guide to Confession - Phyllis Schieber

I have just finished reading The Sinner's Guide to Confession (2008) by Phyllis Schieber. The title had me hooked (isn't that shallow of me?), and an easy read followed. The plot is built around the premise that everyone has secrets, even those they keep from their closest friends and family. Schieber introduces a very extensive list of characters, mostly family members who are connected through three female friends in their late 40s and 50s. Of course, once everyone finally comes to reveal their secrets in a range of different circumstances, all is well and good and life goes on with even more support from each other than before. However, it's not quite as cheesy as it sounds and it's easy to build up a genuine empathy for the characters.

Issues explored include female friendship, adoption, the makeup of families, and the importance of keeping up appearances at all costs. It's easy to read, humorous at times, filled with just the right amount of emotion and family guilt, and there's sure to be at least half a dozen characters you feel you know personally or might even be possibly related to yourself!

Another book inhaled. :-)

1 comment:

Phyllis Schieber said...

I was so delighted to get a "Google alert" this morning that a review of my work had been posted! Thank you for your kind words. I am on a virtual tour with THE SINNER's GUIDE TO CONFESSION and have been learning a great deal from my readers all over the world; however, New Zealand is a first! I have another book coming out in March--WILLING SPIRITS. It is also with Berkley/Putnam, and I hope you will look for it.
Thank you again.
Phyllis