Wednesday 13 March 2013

A fifth Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

We have some great in-depth discussions in the office. Sometimes it involves edumacating younger members of our staff in British techno music history. At other times, we have lively and robust conversations about beer. This morning, there was a full swing debate that I couldn't help myself from jumping into.

According to a misguided colleague, there are actually five Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He insists that the original gang of four (Donatello, Raphael, Leonardo and Michelangelo) were not joined by their female companion, Venus, but instead gained another hero in a half-shell named Eduardo. The details about what Eduardo's special features include are shaky at best, but apparently it's the truth. Really.

Ahem. Eduardo? Firstly, whoever heard of an Italian Renaissance artist called Eduardo? (It's possible there may be one - I haven't fully checked, but that's not the point.) And what did he do? How come no-one else has heard of him? Madness, I say! And so agreed everyone else in the office.

I popped out to grab a coffee and returned 10 minutes later to find that debate was still vigorously going. Not only that, but I had somehow inherited this gaudy A3 poster featuring five coloured turtles, one with a green bandanna and bearing the name Eduardo. I've searched for its source and came up blank. It must have been doctored!
Spot the imposter!
But still he insisted that "everyone knows there are five turtles", even though it is clear that no-one knows about Eduardo. Am I right or am I right? Can you spot him in the opening theme song (or anywhere else apart from the doctored poster above)? I think not. Go on ... prove me wrong.

No comments: