This video tutorial of the recipe was really helpful to watch.
Irish soda breadIngredients
- 500 g high grade flour
- 50 g sugar
- 5 g baking soda
- 10 g baking powder
- 3 g salt
- 115 g butter, softened
- 235 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 55 g butter, melted
- 60 ml buttermilk (additional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly grease a large baking tray or cover with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Form dough into a round shape and place on prepared baking tray.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter with additional buttermilk. Brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.
|Irish soda bread|