Wednesday 27 March 2013

Olivo olive oil tasting

It would be fair to say that, for me, cooking oil is a means to an end. Sure, it's a staple ingredient in my pantry and I usually have extra virgin olive oil, canola oil and vegetable oil on hand for various purposes. I have also given flavoured Prenzel rice bran oils to some foodie friends as birthday gifts. But I do find myself easily 'olive oiled out' at The Food Shows and other food-based events. I guess I just need to find move novel ways to use flavoured oils other than drizzling them on salads.

Today, I found a small olive oil tasting at The Pantry. Olivo is based in sunny Martinborough and there were four oils available to try. The extra virgin olive oil had a pleasantly mild flavour and would make a good base for most things requiring oil.

Then there were three infused varieties: cumin, fennel and orange. The fennel infused oil won't be to everyone's liking, but I grew up eating finocchio bulbs as a treat so it had a very nostalgic flavour for me. My favourite was definitely the orange infused oil, delicate yet distinctly orange, especially when used to make chocolate mousse. Now we're talking!

I'm glad I have 'discovered' what is a new product for me and am keen to try making chocolate mousse with the orange infused oil, especially as it uses Whittaker's Dark Ghana chocolate as its base. Mmmmm.

No comments: