Friday 30 May 2008

Shuffle Part 3

Time for a shuffle post. I don't know why; it just is. I'm exhausted, have been working ridiculous hours for too many days and nights, am too tired to go out to dance, and am contemplating the earliest night I've had in years. So, here are the last ten songs, artists, the album they're from, and their rating out of five played on my iPod via shuffle:
  1. It Had To Be You - Vic Damone [Swing!] 3/5 - this is a neat compilation of older-style lounge music and some newer artists getting in on the act. A couple of great versions: George Michael's My Baby Just Cares For Me and Natalie Cole's It's Crazy (except for that double note at the end - unnecessary!). Also love Louis Jordan's upbeat Saturday Night Fish Fry.
  2. I'd Love You To Want Me - Lobo [no album] 4/5 - a very nostalgic sound. Don't know anything about this group, and actually prefer Me And You And A Dog Named Boo, but nice acoustic rhythm guitar in this song.
  3. Girl From Ipanema - Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz [Sunshine - The Cool Sound of Summer] 3/5 - I've got this song on so many different compilations. I don't particularly like it, but enjoy Stan Getz's unique guitar sound. Reminds me of my guitarist friend Gerry who, unsurprisingly, has several of his albums.
  4. Sing For The Moment - Eminem [The Eminem Show] 4/5 - one of my few attempts at hip hop. Some of the lyrics ring true. For me, this song is more a reminder of the time it was released than any particular fondness for it.
  5. Boy From New York City - Ad Libs [no album] 4/5 - what a follow-up from Eminem! This is the original do wop version and very reflective of 50s-style vocal music.
  6. Listen To Your Heart - Roxette [no album] 3/5 - Roxette were all the rage in the late 80s when I was at secondary school. They were my friend's favourite band. She had a weird dream about this song and Johnny Depp wanting her. That was while he was still Tom Hanson in 21 Jump Street. *sigh*
  7. Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers [Californication] 3/5 - great band. Average song. Under The Bridge still takes a lot of beating.
  8. You'll Never Get To Heaven If You Break My Heart - The Stylistics [Burt Bacharach Collection] 4/5 - probably one of the longest musical stints sung in falsetto and not by Leo Sayer. Not one of Bacharach's best arrangements, but some lovely vocal work and orchestration.
  9. Home On A Monday - Little River Band [LRB Classic Collection] 4/5 - I always loved the "echo on the line" and "calling from [from]" bits. It impressed me as a kid.
  10. Chuck E's In Love - Rickie Lee Jones [no album] 4/5 - I went through a stage of being into Rickie Lee when, as a teenager, I discovered one of her albums in my father's studio. I loved Danny's All Star Joint, but can now recognise Night Train, The Last Chance Texaco, and Coolsville as glorified whinging, ie drawn out country offerings which help pad out an average album which contains a couple of true gems.

No comments: