This time, I learned my lesson and only rolled tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. It worked; I ended up with real biscuits instead of a flat cookie-imitating mess. I have also discovered that there is a big difference between the cooking time and 'just another couple of minutes' - golden cookies can become decidedly dark in a very short time! They still taste great, though. :-)
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water. Add to creamed mixture.
- Sift flour, salt and ginger together. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Roll tablespoonsful of mixture into balls and place on a greased oven tray. Flatten with a floured fork. Bake at 180°C for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden. Makes 25.