Telltale signs of ageing
- A young boy sitting across from you at the airport gate is dressed as a pilot. His uniform looks very authentic and he even has all the correct identification. Then he boards and flies your plane.
- A student you taught when she was 8 years old stands up and reintroduces herself to you in a restaurant. You don't immediately recognise her but are thrilled to see her after all these years, figuring she must be about 21 by now. She asks where you are currently working. Her reply to your response? "Oh yes, they are one of our clients." Clients? Since when does an 8 year old have clients??
- The sister of another student you taught as a 9 year old introduces herself from behind the counter at one of your favourite cafés. Not only is she now 23 and the café manager, but she has already completed her OE and has returned home to 'settle down'.
- The young girl you see in the corridor at work is not here visiting her mother or father (or grandparent) but instead contracted as a consultant, currently conducting a very important staffing review.
- A friend posts on Facebook that she just found a bunch of records she didn't remember even having: Wham, Inxs, Tears for Fears, Abba, Grease, Tour of Duty. Another friend comments, "that reads like my dad's music collection." Great.
- You have to show a friend YouTube clips of Jem and the Holograms so she can understand what your Sevens costume theme is all about and what she should be wearing.
- Someone who looks about 30 offers you their seat on the bus ... oh wait, this hasn't actually happened to me but I don't look forward to the day it does!