Tuesday 11 December 2007

Christmas dinner Moroccan style

Last night, 20+ friends went for Christmas dinner with a difference. We had Medina, a Moroccan restaurant in Courtenay Place, all to ourselves. The owners are friends of the organisers, so they put on a set menu which turned into a huge feast.

I don’t know much about Moroccan cuisine apart from having a go at adding some pre-made flavouring to lamb on a couple of occasions (yum, but too easy – I think I’m getting off lightly and doing a total disservice to Morocco). The taste sensation we enjoyed was out of this world. I need to find out more about the combinations of spices used and have a go cooking with them myself. Even relatively simple ingredients (pumpkin, carrots, potatoes) tasted amazing with a tiny bit of seasoning. We identified cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and saffron, but there’s got to be more to it than that. I’ll definitely be back to Medina in the new year!

A couple of us popped over the road to The Tasting Room for a drink after dinner. I’ve never been a fan of this place, having experienced a couple of unfortunate dining incidents there (on separate occasions, but, I digress). However, it was pleasant enough on a warm Monday night to sit at their outside tables and share a pre-Christmas drink, but I don’t think I’ll make it a regular habit. I have too many other regular habits (and haunts) I'd rather indulge in. ;-)

No comments: