Tuesday 11 December 2007

McCormack Studio Gallery

Michael McCormack is an Irish artist (from Cork) who paints and exhibits his art works at The McCormack Studio Gallery in Island Bay, Wellington. Although Michael has only lived in Wellington since 2000, I’ve been long amazed at how he has managed to capture the true spirit of the landscapes he paints. You’d think he was a local (that’s a compliment!) with the feeling and passion he manages to portray in his paintings, and I’ve long been a fan of his work.

Tonight, Michael opened his new exhibit, Coastline, featuring paintings of Wellington’s coast. Born and bred in Island Bay (and remembering when his gallery used to be a fruit shop), I’ve always said that when I had enough money and enough walls to put them on, I’d buy a piece of Michael’s artwork. Tonight I found the perfect piece. It’s a morning scene of Island Bay, looking across the bay with the island to the left, past the bait shed, and across the rock pools. I was totally blown away by it. Michael, just let me work on my budget, and I’ll do my best to come back and buy it! (Might take a while before I have $3900 to spare, but let me dream …)

So I instead settled on buying two of his amazing calendars on behalf of a friend and a diary for my sister-in-law, who is new to Wellington. (Yay – it means that I’ve started my Christmas shopping!) I’ll give it to her on Christmas Day with a promise to take her to all of the sites featured in his paintings.

Images © 2007 Michael McCormack

No comments: