Wednesday 5 March 2008

Eurythmics

I changed the CDs in my car stereo this week. The Hollies are now back on my iPod, and Eurythmics have taken their place. This Greatest Hits album is from 1991, and one I'm glad to give a whirl again for a while.

Strangely nostalgic, even though I was too young to truly appreciate them in the 80s, I feel I have a connection with Eurythmics (note: not The Eurythmics) after they wandered into a friend's fish and chip shop in Island Bay when I was growing up ... and her parents served them without knowing who they were. Ambiguous, I know, but we got a huge buzz from it at the time. Sadly, their shop wasn't known for making good fish and chips, and we were surprised and almost embarrassed that out of the 5-6 others they could have chosen from in Island Bay, that's where they went.

Songs I've always loved:
Thorn In My Side: the ultimate in cool, especially the hugely pumped reverb on the drumss during the vocal break.
Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This: the long version. Chilling backing vocals and an unmistakable synthesised intro.
There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart): such a feel-good song and not a trace of cheese in sight. Love the piano rundown before the magical Stevie Wonder harmonica solo.
Missionary Man: such a kick-ass song, even though it was many years before I understood any of it. Have played the line "if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done ..." repeatedly to crack that syncopated rhythm.
Love Is A Stranger: love the tension building up to that "zombie" line.

Songs I quite like:
When Tomorrow Comes: probably more for nostalgic reasons. One of my bands used to play this song years ago, although it never really went down well with a crowd.
It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back): great matching between the two vocals.
Who's That Girl?: really precise rhythm work going on with some very 80s instrumentation.
Here Comes The Rain Again: as above.

Songs I never really saw the attraction with:
Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves: yay for girl power and all that, but this song is hugely overrated.
Angel: yawn.

No comments: