Monday 1 September 2008

10 quick music questions

A while ago, I unashamedly ripped off a readers' quiz that I found on someone else's blog. I'm going to do it again today, this time with 10 quick music questions.
  1. What was the most recent album you bought? Is it any good?
    I haven't bought much music in the past few months, but added to my jazz collection with a lovely Duke Ellington album called Sophisticated Lady. Yup, it's good. I'm also still meaning to get out and buy Duffy's Rockferry some time soon.
  2. What is the last music bio that you read? And would you recommend it?
    I love biographies, and especially music bios, so thought this one would be easy to answer. However, scrolling through bibliophil, I'm shocked to realise that the last music bio I read was two years ago and it was about Cleo Laine. Sheesh!
  3. You have one song to impress the crowd on Singstar. Assuming you can pick any relatively famous song to wow the audience, what would it be?
    I shudder at the thought of any form of karaoke *big big shudder*. But my answer here is the same as always: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. It's the song I played/sang best in my band, helped by the fact that I'm a disco diva.

  4. Name one artist that you heard several people rave about/recommend; you gave it a go and just didn’t get the hype at all?
    Coldplay. WTF?!?
  5. Name one artist that you were very late in discovering – but you really are pleased you gave a go/found out about.
    Ooh, there are lots. I go through phases in the styles of music I check out and subsequently collect. Eg last year I bought most of the Beatles back catalogue (with one or two still to come). I also had a phase of collecting female jazz/blues singers, and the 50s/60s lounge jazz/swing set (I don't really know how to describe it). Prior to that, I enjoyed getting into the Smooth Jazz series. So, no individuals here; just a plethora of styles encompassing several artists.
  6. You can invite five people around for one of those fantasy dinners. They all have to be musicians (dead or alive). Who do you choose?
    Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, Mozart
  7. What is your favourite TV theme from the past? And your favourite current one?
    This one gets tricky, as so many are enjoyed for nostalgic reasons, rather than true musical merit. I think the best all-time theme musically is still Hill Street Blues although, for me, The Muppet Show will always be up there. ;-) As for current themes, I'm enjoying hearing "Gutter Black" by Hello Sailor at the start of Outrageous Fortune each Tuesday. I know that's technically not a tv theme on its own, but it's the only thing I watch on tv these days, anyway.

  8. What is the one band that has yet to reunite that you would be interested in hearing again?
    Do all the members have to be alive? If not, it's Queen all the way with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble a close second. If alive, hmmm. Let me think about this one. Ok, got it: ABBA. Stop laughing - I'm serious.
  9. You have been given free tickets that you have to use. Only problem (if it is a problem) is you have a choice of seeing Westlife, Celine Dion or Crazy Frog. What do you choose and why?
    This question is truly cruel. What sort of sado-masochist would inflict this kind of misery on a musician? Hmmm. Westlife. OK, I said it really fast. Now just go away and stop scaring me.
  10. If you could make one current musician “disappear” – no questions asked – who would it be?
    Westlife - just before the concert I'm being forced to see. Or Shania Twain and all her wannabes. That would be good.
Now, your turn. Feel free to answer one or ten questions, or just let me know what you think of my choices. I'm still feeling traumatised by the thought of #9.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love biographies, and read them voraciously … but it would appear not about musicians. In fact, the only muso biography I can see on my book shelf is “Something So Strong” by Chris Bourke about my beloved Crowded House…which I got in 1998!!!

Maybe I need to expand my biography horizons - any music bio recommendations cafe chick/cafe chick's visitors?

Nisha said...

wow, what a neat quiz! i love all your choices for the 5 fantasy dinner people. i too tend to go through phases and also went through a big band/swing/jazz phase several yrs ago. right now (and for the past couple yrs), i'm thoroughly obsessed with jamiroquai. :)

i haven't gotten into the coldplay hype myself either... *shrug*

Treehugger said...

1. What was the most recent album you bought? Is it any good?
Jewel – Spirit
It was to replace the one I had before, that had been misplaced, after several moves in the past 10 yrs since it was first released. I have been a fan of hers, since her first album came out….this one is my favorite tho. The lyrics have some wonderful, inspiring and insightful messages, and they speak to my heart, even 10 yrs later.

2. What is the last music bio that you read? And would you recommend it?

One about Sophie B. Hawkins, which helped me to understand how hard she had to work at her career….like most musicians have to do. I always wonder how many wonderful voices there are out there, that just never got their “big break”….or maybe they just got tired, and gave up trying to “make it” in the fast-paced and complex world of the music industry. years ago, my son gave me a book with the biography of Fleetwood Mac...and it read a lot like a 1970's soap opera...set to some really good music...

3. You have one song to impress the crowd on Singstar. Assuming you can pick any relatively famous song to wow the audience, what would it be?

Since I am a long-time lover of folk music, I would have to say anything by John Denver....probably Grandma’s Feather Bed….just because it was one that I used to LOVE to sing…out loud (as loud as possible), driving down the road, when I was in college (100 yrs ago, give or take a few yrs), and I know all the words by heart! And, it always makes me smile to sing it!

4. Name one artist that you heard several people rave about/recommend; you gave it a go and just didn’t get the hype at all?

Have to agree w/you about that one…..I heard Coldplay….and they were “okay”, but that was about it. Nothing that would make me rush out to buy their CD.

5. Name one artist that you were very late in discovering – but you really are pleased you gave a go/found out about.

Eva Cassidy. Amazingly beautiful voice. Sings with more feeling and depth than just about any singer I ever heard…singing any song.

6. You can invite five people around for one of those fantasy dinners. They all have to be musicians (dead or alive). Who do you choose?

Ella Fitzgerald, Beethoven, Bob Dylan, John Denver, Earl Scruggs

7. What is your favourite TV theme from the past? And your favourite current one?

Green Acres, Bonanza, Happy Days, Gilligan’s Island, Green Hornet, 77 Sunset Stip….because they were all so “hummable” (is that a real word?)…..and yes, The Muppet Show is a big one for me too, as it brings back SO MANY memories, and all of them good ones! I don’t watch nearly as much TV as I did in years' past….and most of the shows I watch now are on educational TV, and don’t have “theme songs”….but, the one that comes on with the PBS show, Nature, is pretty nice.

8. What is the one band that has yet to reunite that you would be interested in hearing again?

I have to agree w/you about Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Trouble…..and oh YES!!! ABBA!! (I’m serious too!) They were GREAT! And the Doobie Brothers were pretty awesome too!

9. You have been given free tickets that you have to use. Only problem (if it is a problem) is you have a choice of seeing Westlife, Celine Dion or Crazy Frog. What do you choose and why?

Since I don’t’ know who the other two groups are, and since I "have to use them", I guess I would have to go with Celine. Some of her stuff was (and is) extremely good….tho I don’t own ONE album/CD of hers. Maybe if she gets Andrea Bocelli to sing with her, I’d go….and take a friend too!

10. If you could make one current musician “disappear” – no questions asked – who would it be?

(As long as I am not responsible for their complete "disappearance", but only from the "music scene", then am thinking it would have to be one that seems to be utterly self-absorbed and more interested in their “lifestyle” than their music….guess that would be a great many of them.

That was fun...and now you have me HUMMING all those old TV tunes again! Thanx! :)

Sab said...

I love that "I will Survive" song. To be honest, I also love ABBA! I really want to get one of their cd's... my parents have their "golden hits" one and I love it. My sis and I used to dance to it as kids.

Question 9 would freak me out too... although I don't know Westlife, don't care for Celine, and Crazy Frog? I'd give the ticket to my dad... blech.

Caffeinated Weka said...

Ohhh, thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm sooo glad to discover that I'd have buddies at an ABBA revival concert and that others don't 'get' Coldplay either. BTW, is it just me who has refused to see the movie "Mamma Mia"? Being a purist, I endured the stage show, and the cast of the film appeals, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe one day I'll manage it.

Being a musician, people's musical taste (or lack thereof, lol) always intrigues me, but there were so many places in these comments where I found myself nodding my head.

Hey Kristin ... I'm really impressed that you went through all ten questions. You really should have your own blog ... blogging is incredibly addictive. :-)