Thursday 18 September 2008

How fast are you?


A colleague blogged about Speedtest, where you get to try one of those old-fashioned speed typing tests. I learned to type at school, even though my school actively discouraged "academic" students to learn such menial skills. Along with music, I was asked at the end of my fifth form year (Year 11), "haven't you taken this quite far enough?". Apparently not. ;-)

Typing has been incredibly useful skill in my career and has also given me a headstart with design issues. It's been years since I tried a speed typing test (20, I'm guessing). I used to average 80-ish words on an electric typewriter (those were the days!). In those days, 5 characters constituted a word. I'm not sure how it works on this site.

Of course, curiosity got the better of me here, and I had to see if I could beat my colleague's score of 79 words a minute.

97 words

Speed test

Yay!!

5 comments:

Sab said...

Wow! I'm afraid to take this test because I know I don't type very quickly... and on my laptop I'm NOT good as my fingers half the time type a key and then it doesn't show up... lol. But 97 wpm!!! Wow!

Tam said...

I love taking this test...LOL

Donna said...

I so need to do this. I'm going to book mark it so I can take it later!

Evelyn said...

I think I'll pass on the speed test, thank you! It sounds too stressful! LOL
97 does sound very fast!

Random Thoughts said...

I know my typing abilities are poor to say the very least. I look at the keys rather than the screen, or the document I want to type. I also type with mainly my left pointer and my right pointer and middle finger, as well as my right thumb for the space bar. On that speed type test i scored a 38, which was amazing to me. If I were to type my own thoughts rather than the random words they have you type I may have score a 39 or 45... maybe.