Monday 16 March 2009

Boysenberry chocolate brownies

Is it bad that two of my ten new recipes are variations on brownies? ;-)

Here is a Food in a Minute recipe. It's super-easy to make and the results are mouth-watering. It supposedly makes 20-25 servings; four of us sampled some tonight and there was only about a quarter of it left afterwards. No-one will be satisfied with only one helping!

Boysenberry chocolate brownies

Ingredients
  • 150g butter
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
  • 425g can boysenberries in syrup
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 170° C and line a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper. Drain boysenberries, reserving the juice.

  2. In a saucepan gently melt the butter and cocoa, stir and set aside to cool.

  3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and creamy then fold in cooled chocolate mixture and sifted flour.

  4. Pour mix into cake tin and place drained boysenberries over the top letting them sink in by themselves.

  5. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until brownie springs back when touched.

  6. To make a boysenberry sauce, place reserved boysenberry syrup in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes or until reduced by half and thickened. Set aside to cool. [This didn't work so well for me, but still tasted great!]

  7. Cut brownie into squares, dust with cocoa if wished, and serve with whipped cream, yoghurt or ice cream drizzled with the boysenberry sauce.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad to see this got a great recommendation from you and your taste testers :P I found this recipe at the supermarket on the weekend and am going to make it on Wednesday afternoon to take to work on Thurs

Sab said...

That looks scrumptious! I never buy boisenberries... guess I'll have to pick up a can to give this one a try!

I should revisit my 101 list soon...

Anonymous said...

That looks so good!

The Asian Pear said...

Mmm. That looks absolutely delicious. THank you for sharing the recipe! I'll have to try it sometime. (although I'm not sure where I can get a can of boysenberries though...)