Wednesday 4 March 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire (2008) today. Having won free tickets (yep, the competition junkie strikes again!), and working casually this month, we thought we'd go on a weekday when theatres might be quieter. We struck the jackpot: we were the only two people in the whole Embassy Theatre. An exclusive viewing!

I won't go into much detail from the movie, as it really is something you should see for yourself. Basically, a Mumbai teen who grew up in the slums becomes a contestant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? If a boy from the slums can do so well, he surely must be cheating ... and so the story begins.

Not one to bring the kids to, the cinematography is fast-moving and some scenes quite gruesome at times. I'm interested in reading the novel it's based on, Q & A by Vikas Swarup, an Indian diplomat. If nothing else, Slumdog Millionaire is an incredible insight into the realities young children face while trying to survive alone in the slums of Mumbai and, of course, an ever-lasting childhood love.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Love love love this movie. Cant wait to read the book either. But I am so jealous you got to see it in an empty theatre! Awesome. The only time that has ever happened to me was when a friend and I went to see Spiceworld: the movie on the last day it was showing in Palmerston North. We got up and danced and sang to all the songs - great fun! I'm sure the projectionist had a good giggle anyway

Courtney Elizabeth said...

Ah I lurve Slumdog Millionaire. I saw it right after it came out here, and while I was still cool for being in the know about it hehe.

Sab said...

I've never heard of this movie! I'm not sure I'd be able to watch however if there are gruesome parts (ever since having my daughter I've noticed I'm even more sensitive to things in movies).

Ah, I envy you, having the whole theatre to yourselves! Wow! Must've been a nice getaway! :)

Sharon said...

hey, thanks for the visit! :)
sorry it took me so long XP

hehehe nice blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to see this movie for a while now. Lucky you won winning the tickets!!!

Latharia said...

I'm thinking about seeing this movie ... I gave it a pass the last time I went to the theatre because my friend was concerned about the level of violence ... but another friend has said she's taken her 12 year old (who I also know well), and I think I can stomach it if she can! :D