Thursday 25 June 2009

The Cream of Eric Clapton

I have been slowly and painstakingly rebuilding my iTunes after a malfunction late last year. Aside from all the frustration that this involves, it has given me the opportunity to go through my entire CD collection album. by. album. and do a musical stocktake of what I own. It has yielded some surprises.

Today, I listened to The Cream of Eric Clapton for the first time in ages. Released way back in 1987, it features hits from Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Blind Faith, as well as some off Eric Clapton's solo material. I first got this album while I was still at school. Actually, I probably stole it from Dad's music collection, but he either hasn't noticed or doesn't mind. Tonight, as I was cooking dinner, I blasted it out for old times' sake.

Songs I'm still in love with
Layla: the full version. Something for everyone in this song and I like the piano work in the second half.
Badge: great to hear a song built around a bass line and rhythmic stops.
Strange Brew: love the lyric, "On a boat in the middle of a raging sea, she would make a scene for it all to be ignored". Classic.
White Room: not many bands are brave enough to feature a 5/4 riff.
Behind The Mask: great experimenting with reverb and effects.

Songs I enjoy listening to
Sunshine Of Your Love: probably for nostalgic reasons. It reminds me of my brother's high school band and featured a drum solo by him, followed by the announcement, "... and he's only 12!".
I Feel Free: neat vocal and harmony work.
Wonderful Tonight: only on a good day and when I'm in the right mood, but I didn't really want to put this song in the category below.
Let It Grow: probably as mellow as Clapton gets.

Songs he really shouldn't have bothered with
I Shot The Sheriff: maybe as a live jam, but not necessary to release as a single.
Knockin' On Heaven's Door: ditto.
Lay Down Sally
: gives the hillbillies something to enjoy. Makes half-listeners think this is the real Eric Clapton. Bah!

No comments: